Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Around My Flower Garden" a strip-pieced hexagon quilt

I have always loved the look of hexagon quilts such as "Grandmother's Flower Garden" but piecing all those little hexies by hand did not really appeal to me.  To be honest I don't think I would ever finish it.  Here is where I admit that I have a somewhat short attention span.  I designed this quilt to have that look without all the time consuming hand piecing.  The center of this quilt is done by strip piecing triangles together to form the hexagon look.  I did hand piece the small outer flowers using no-melt template plastic to stitch the individual small hexies, then appliqued them onto the quilt.

8 comments:

  1. OOh beautiful quilt. I'd love to know how you made it if you ever felt like doing a tutorial. I love hexagon quilts myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki,
    I had an acrylic triangle template special made to go with this pattern to make the cutting of the triangles easy and acurate.
    I graphed out the picture then simply stitched the triangles together in rows according the the picture. I hope that makes sense to you. It took quite some time to graph it all out but the stitching went very fast. I actually enjoyed making the small hexies with the no-melt template plastic. Sort of like making a yo-yo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Doesn't matter how you put it together, it's beautiful, and looks traditional with a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt! I know I would never finish a small hexie quilt but think they are so neat! Thanks for linking!
    Join me at Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking up to Thursday Think Tank. You have some beautiful quilts here! I can't wait to look around more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilt! Your applique looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you, Peggy. I love the Grandmother's flower garden, but would never finish it. I like your idea! and it turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting, it really makes my day!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.