Since it's St. Patrick's Day weekend, I decided you should all enjoy a little Irish luck with this freebie.
This was such a fun, no-brainer type quilt to make, and a great way to use up your scraps. I appliqued the quarter circles by hand while waiting at the Dr.'s office or watching TV at night. I find this very relaxing and it takes my mind off the idleness. You could machine applique them very quickly if you prefer.
70 black 6 1/2" squares
70 white 6 1/2" squares
140 bright 3 1/2" squares to cut quarter circles from
1/2 yard stop border
1 2/3 yard outer border
5/8 yard binding
5 1/2 yards backing
- Place a white 6 1/2" square right sides together on top of a black 6 1/2" square.
- Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.
- Stitch 1/4" away from each side of the line. Cut on the line to make two half-square triangles.
- Press, then trim each square to 6". Repeat with all 6 1/2" squares of fabric to make 140 half-square triangles.
- Trace a 5 3/4" circle onto freezer paper. Cut the circle in half twice to make four quarter circles.
- Press a paper template onto the wrong side of a bright fabric scrap. Cut on the straight edge but 1/4" away from the rounded edge.
- Fold the rounded edge over the freezer paper and press well. Make 280 bright quarter-circles.
- Remove the paper and applique a quarter circle into the two seamless corners of each block.
to making the last 10 or 15 blocks so you can adjust the colors if necessary.
9. Repeat for all blocks using a wide variety of interesting, bright fabrics.
10. Lay out your blocks in fourteen rows of ten blocks each, alternating the white and black
sides of each block. Make sure you will have four different bright colors to form each circle.
11. Stitch the blocks together in rows.
12. Stitch the rows together.
13. Stitch two stop borders 2" x 77 1/2" to the sides of the quilt and two stop borders 2" x 58 1/2"
to the top and bottom of the quilt.
14. Stitch two outer borders 6 1/2" x 80 1/2" to the sides of the quilt and two outer borders
6 1/2" x 70 1/2" to the top and bottom of the quilt.
15. Cut nine strips 2 1/4" x width of fabric for binding.
16. Quilt and bind.
My entry into Just Something I Whipped Up sponsored by Appliances Online and the Bosch Washing Machines, .