Friday, March 16, 2012

Snowflake Block Free Pattern

I know I have posted this before on my Free Patterns Page, but I am doing some re-organizing on my blog and decided it would be best to have the free patterns listed under Labels rather than on a stand alone page.

Snowflake Block 7 1/2" finished


I have had many requests for the directions to the snowflake block I used on my Snowman quilt.
I designed this quilt using a panel several years ago and didn't write anything down. So I have re-figured the block and here are the dimensions and directions for you. Enjoy!
Background fabric (blue)
4 2 1/2" squares
Snowflake fabric (white)
1 5" square
4 2 1/2" squares
8 2" squares
Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of four
white 2 1/2" squares. Place the white squares with right sides together on top of four blue squares.
Stitch 1/4" from each side of the drawn line.
Cut on the drawn line. Press toward the blue fabric. Trim each to 2" square. Repeat with remaining 3 blue squares to make 8 blue/white 2" half-square triangles.

Stitch a white 2" square between two half-square triangles as shown. Make four units. Stitch one unit along the top edge of the 5" white square, and one unit along the bottom edge.






Stitch a white 2" square to each end of the remaining two units.






Stitch one unit along the left edge of the block and one unit along the right edge.

Your block will measure 8" square which will give you a 7 1/2" finished block. This is a strange size I know but I originally designed it to fit my snowman squares.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting, it really makes my day!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.